Low Oil Pressure

Ludwig

Hi Folks,

Mk3 Spitfire - standard spec -  just replaced the timing chain and dropped the sump in the process - checked and cleaned the oil pump.

Fitted it all back together and ran the engine static for 20 mins or so - was really pleased as it a lot smoother than before. Revved it a bit when warm [was still smooth and a lot quieter], then drove it carefully for about 5 mins on decent stretch stretch of road, all was fine.

Stopped at lights, oil pressure light came on [& i don't mean flickering - full on, very bright]. Drove on and the engine sounded rough as...well, like a bag of nails. Pulled over, checked for leaks - bone dry everywhere , plenty of oil in sump.

Waited 15 mins or so, topped it up with a bit of oil just to make sure....... and limped home very carefully.

Any ideas???? I suspect the oil pump as I can't think of anything else that would suddenly kick-in like it did.

Ta,

Alex

Possibly the relief valve stuck open.  If the light stayed on while driving and you had nasty noises I regret that you are now likely to have other problems as well as bearing life is measured in seconds without oil feed.  If not the relief valve then possibly the oil pump bolts (3) have come loose or the pick-up pipe is loose (if later screw in type).

Nick