can,t blled mk1 clutch

sahtuning2000

been trying for 6 hours!!!its had new master /slave recently,slave is on right way,no leaks,but i can,t get the air out of the system,sometimes i get a firm pedal after bleeding,but when i push it down and hold it,it losses presure like the bleed valve is open,its really got to me,and i,am sun burn,t!!it was ok when i drove it to house,just thought i would give it a quick fluid change!!help needed urgent

Are you losing any fluid or is it simply that air is getting in? All you can do is go thorugh it logically piece by piece. OR, do as I do after 6 hours of knuckle scraping - take the whole thing apart and start afresh!

There was a previous thread on this back in May of last year, as I experienced similar problems- it is a problem with all big saloons.

My method was to use a ezzi-bleed presuurised at 25PSI- 10 or so more than recommended- it worked- the other method is to hold the slave above the master cylinder- this evidently works.

good luck Dave.

this is whats happened,i changed the master in jan,bleed the system no problem,very rarerly use car,got it out yesterday,thought i would change the fluid(looked a little dirty)but now all i get are air bubbles,the system,did drain,as i decided to put a new slave i had spare,so i have new slave/master cylinders,but i did loss all fluid,new fluid,tons of air,and sinking clutch,no leaks at all,i have checked complete system,top/bottom,it just seems to be having some gravity problem,have jacked it up at all corners,car was on flat ground,then on ground facing fowards down hill,have only used hose/bottle,haven,t used one man bleeder etc(will be getting one tommorrow,i did have one with the non return valve(any good)i,ve been told this is what i need,the one fashioned way doesn,t work,have had a few problems before with clutches but not this bad!!it does have the7/8 bore slave

another way i have been told is to connect a very long length of tubing to the blled valve,and route it above the master cylinder,then open the bleed valve,when the fluid in the tube reaches level with master cylinder then theres no air at all,something like what tim said,and i,ve read it in the register notes,does it work?got to be a gravity thing

found it!!!!after buying an easy bleed(works spot on)there was still no pedal,so i took the master of and took it apart,to be greeted with a rubber cap on the spring which is badly perished and had a hole in it!!!!panics now a little over,but i need the seal kit/refitted by thursday night!this cylinder was only bought new in jan,still boxed,what dot fluid should i use,3 or 4??

Archived