2.5 oil leaks :S

john_classic

It's your old engine !
It's had a complete rebuild, reground crank, rebored, u/l head conversion etc.
Havn't put the webers on yet as I had to dismantle & clean them as they were seized - need to reroute the waterworks and fit my electric fuel pump too, more concerned with the leak at the moment though !

It sounds like the the timing cover seal, John. It is very common. They tend to harden and leak. You can remedy with the engine in situ. easily enough (although it is a pain in the arse) take the rad. out, fan off, remove the timing cover,  replace seal, new gasket etc, nothing particularly tricky.

Don't worry sah, all gaskets etc have been replaced since I got it, which is why i'm surprised it's leaking already, gasket sealant was also used... is this a common area for leakage?
I suppose there's no point in re-changing the gasket if it's going to happen again straight away.

Two ways to get bad leaks at this position are:

1. Using set screws that are too long when screwing into the ali block, the screw will hit the main cap and then strip the thread preventing proper torque setting being acheived.
2.Overtightening of cheese headed screws in the same position aqgain striping the thread.

I know this because I have done it on my GT6.

Archived