MK 1 ENGINE OIL PUMP

BODSGT6

Hi all, ive just had an oil pump delivered for my early mk1 Gt6, the  thing is it looks different, on the end it has an angled pick up and a strainer where as my early mk 1 just has a straight pick up with no strainer. Is it the correct oil pump or is it a case of swapping over the pick ups. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Merry Xmas everyone.

There are 3 types of oil pump fitted to 6 cyl cars. The original MK1 with the straight pick up, the MK2 type with angled square section pick-up and the later allow pump with an angled pickup and bowl type gauze..

They all work, but I wouldn't use the MK1 by preference (probably no longer supplied). The MK2 type is OK, and the later alloy one is the best. Beware though that there are some crap reproduction late type alloy pumps around that have been badly cast and finished and the port is obscured by flashing.

BodsGT6

Recently been through the same experience with my Mk1 and was only able to get the later one with the large strainer on the end.

If you take a look at the sump pan baffle there is a recessed portion about 3" square (but not a square shape) that has a hole in it that let the old oil pump through, all i did was to take a Dremmel tool and cut out that recessed portion and the new pump was able to poke through into the oil...

Goes without saying the pan needs to be very very well cleaned after to make sure no swarf is lodged anywhere.

Archived