molsmagic

Hi chaps,
I've just replaced the cylinder head on my mk2 Spit (1147 engine) and the new head is leaking oil from the tubes which the pushrods go through.
The oil is leaking down from the top and making a mess not quite of BP proportions but seriously noticable.
Is there any easy way of fixing this leak without taking the head off again?

Cheers
Molsmagic

Molsmagic,
You can try to expand the tubes in situ using a conical tool and a hammer. I have tried this under the better circumstance of having the head off, and it never seems to entirely stop the leakage, Internal pressure from insufficient crankcase ventilation will make matters worse, so check that.
                                                                     Good luck,
                                                                     Paul

Molsmagic,
Please not a large hammer! Those tubes are aluminium, so they will be fairly easy to expand. Also remember;the iron parts of the head they pass through aren't particularly well supported. The tools I have seen drawings of to expand the tubes have 45 degree angled surfaces that do the work from both ends of the tube.
The different rates of thermal expansion of the two metals probably contribute to the problem.
                                                              Once again, good luck,
                                                              Paul  

Archived