Choke cable replacement

Roy S

Choke on the car is very stiff I was going to take the current cable out and see if it could be freed up a little. Anyone who has done this before care to comment on this, is it a pain and I should just cut my loses and fit a new one first time round?

To me it feels like it catches as it is stiff for the first part of the travel then eases up. What I didn't want to do was waste time trying to get this one working if they are a real pain to take out and re-fit. Mind you at over £30 for the cable think I'll have a go at fixing the one in the car first.

Hi roy, had the same problem with mine the end of the outer cable
was frade where it clips on the bracket by the carb so the inner cable was
sticking, bought a new one from soc. for £32 took about 1 hour to change
worst part was taking out the radio to get at the back of the knob.

Thanks for the details, I think I'll disconnect both cables to the carbs and see just how free the cable moves then. It looks in good condition so maybe the problem is more hidden say at the back of the knob. Hope to get a chance to look at this at the weekend.

In looking for this water leak the carbs had to come off anyway. The choke cable inner wires are a little bent when you take a closer look and the knob moves freely when they are disconnected. Also found that one wire was too long as well so the choke operation would have been all off anyway.

I'll see if the wire can be straightened when I re-fit the carbs later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to bend most of the kinks out of the cables and the choke works a lot better now. Seems stiff for the first 1/4 inch of travel but pulls the rest of the way OK and more importantly returns with a nice smooth action. Before it was all on then all off making it a pain when warming up.

Well saved me the cost and time for a new one.

Archived