Update photos of my Triumph 2000 Estate

Callan Hyde

I put a few photos on here a few months back detailing my extremely rotten triumph 2000 estate which was sat in a damp garage near me for 34 years. Thought i best upload some follow up photos for those who dont have me on FB or apart of the Triumph 2000/2500 Fan Page where ive been posting regular updates. 

I purchased another estate as a donor which has sadly had a rear end smack aside from being relatively rotten. I unstitched the front ends off both cars and repaired all the holeage in the cars bulkhead. This included the entire centre of the bulkhead, two new footwell, replacement ends of the sills inner and outer, cutting out and welding everything along the flitch panel seams and so on. 

The replacement front end was then offered up, trimmed and after many hours with a tape measure and a book it was welded in place, mostly with the us of the Mk1 Eyeball as I found all the factory measurements to be significantly different to both cars before i started. 

Ive also replaced both front outriggers and now completely welded the chassis legs to the new floors as well as done some reinforcement work along the vertical join for the bulkhead strengthener brackets which I had to cut. The windscreen frame and roof needed some substantial work prior to the refitting of the interior. Replacement carpets were sourced and the dashboard cobbled together from both cars as the original was rotten for the most part. The interior is now entirely fitted aside from column and glove trays. 

On the exterior, ive seam sealed all welding and painted the engine bay and bulkhead to allow me to refit some of the gubbins which came off both. Im now working to fit the original wheel bowls off the car to the replacement front end. The donor car had three replacement arches and thus the arches and wings were not saveable without substantial amounts of money. 

Ive sourced a Tr6 engine which i have stripped down and plan to get bored to 0.60" in the new year, ive got a set of match weighted and balanced rods and pistons to go with it. Original engine was full of water and entirely seized, same goes for the auto box. Hoping to get 150bhp out of it on carbs, 170+efi in the finish. Im out my depth with working these 6 cylinder engines so will be speaking to some folks in the know soon before coming up with a solid plan for it. Ive got a J type OD box to go in the car in place of the slush box it had originally. 

Plan is to take it quite low, will be doing something of a custom rear susp. setup with my spare subframe to allow me to obtain the height I want with the correct toe in/out. Fronts will be going a similar way to Jarad Bucketts saloon in australia, modifying some E46 struts to standard mounts for hub and tower with camber/caster adjustment to suit height etc. Ive got a golf mk1 splitter to go underneath at the front to help with wobble at speed and direct more air into the rad. Obtained some compomotive mesh pattern alloys which will be going gold to match the brown of the car. 

Objective is to have the car on the road for March 2022 allowing me some run in time before shows and holiday trips in summer. Wether this goes ahead depends on how much I can plough into the engine or not, I have a spare 2.0 Gt6 mk2 engine I can chuck in temporarily if need be. 

IMG_20210807_171237.jpg

IMG_20210921_113622.jpg

IMG_20211028_183512.jpg

IMG_20211109_183647.jpg

IMG_20211206_144229.jpg

IMG_20211206_144241.jpg

IMG_20211214_194008.jpg

IMG_20211218_183724.jpg

IMG_20211120_171044.jpg

IMG_20211120_184202.jpg

IMG_20211224_160537.jpg

IMG_20211225_155728.jpg