Dip stick, Spitfire

Velocita Rosso

On all the rebuilds over the last 21 years, I have always returned the dipstick in place, and really not knowing whether it was the correct one when acquiring the car from the previous owner, as it could have been from another model. I have topped up today and it looks like I have used about 1/2 pt of oil (or just under), which went from half way between the markings on the dipstick, so assuming that the actual difference between the two markings is around 1 pt. I cannot find any readings anywhere to confirm that. My memory cannot allow me to remember way back to 1973 ......when I had my first Spitfire

I`ve just seen it in the original drivers handbook, 2pts.............but I still need to know if its the correct dip stick...Need to measure somebody else`s ...ahh yes. ......Mike measure your dipstick from sump end to the first and second marks please

Edited by Velocita Rosso

29 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

Mike measure your dipstick from sump end to the first and second marks please

I would also add to measure from the top mark to where the dip stick sits in it's tube as that would affect where it sits in the oil, surely?

1 hour ago, sparky_spit said:

From the bottom of the dipstick it is 38mm up to the 2nd mark down, and 55mm to the first mark down.

Hmmmm?.....25mm and 53mm....say s mine?🤔...and 180 from cup to tip

So...if yours is genuine/correct ....the same more or less for a full sump...but the top up mark?

it is a dipstick that has been swapped between 2 different engines over 24 years.

I suggest getting some more test results and take a balanced view, to see how many 

are the equal of each other.

If you want me to visually check, I have a FM1500 block on the engine stand with its sump off so its easy to measure whatever you want.

Which does raise the question of "is the 1500 dipstick longer than a 1296 one. And... are the blocks the same height and have the dipstick hole in the same place?.

Just checked the dipstick and it is indeed 180 from cup to tip

15 minutes ago, sparky_spit said:

it is a dipstick that has been swapped between 2 different engines over 24 years.

I suggest getting some more test results and take a balanced view, to see how many 

are the equal of each other.

If you want me to visually check, I have a FM1500 block on the engine stand with its sump off so its easy to measure whatever you want.

Which does raise the question of "is the 1500 dipstick longer than a 1296 one. And... are the blocks the same height and have the dipstick hole in the same place?.

Just checked the dipstick and it is indeed 180 from cup to tip

Checking the parts manual,its the same part number for a 1300 and 1500

Having two more views from the Norf lads

On 12/07/2022 at 12:58, sparky_spit said:

By pure chance I have the owner's handbook open in front of me and can confirm that Pete is correct; it takes 2 pints (1.4 litres) to raise the level from the lower dipstick marking to the upper marking.

Sat drinking tea by any chance?

The general consensus 180mm tip to cup, then 25mm to first mark and then 55mm to full mark