Gear selection issue

Bob Williams

We have a 1500tc which has just been put back together after 15 years of being laid up. It has done nearly 84000 miles. We are having a problem with the gear stick which is quite floppy and it’s difficult to ascertain which gear is where i.e. reverse, 1st or 3rd. Has anyone had experience of this problem and can offer any guidance in how to fix this.7119910E-A01D-45E5-B6BB-AF702E903DDC.thumb.jpeg.c3bd2e1089c410fcd6478f19752c625f.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Bob Williams said:

Thank you for quick response. Will order the kit now.

Probably worth buying from Canley Classics. They have tried to overcome the known issues with the kits by sourcing the components from more than 1 supplier. So likely to be the longest lasting.

If teh plastic ball at teh bottom of the gearstick is OK, keep it. That is a real issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2023 at 17:03, Clive said:

If the plastic ball at the bottom of the gearstick is OK, keep it. That is a real issue

+1 for that. The originals were nylon, which is very tough.

In my limited (bad) experience, the hard grey ones in the kits turn back to granules. The softer black ones just disintegrate. Ask me how I know.

I now have a bespoke one made from Delrin which is similarly tough as nylon.

Ian

• Like 1