Poor Production Values

Tim Bancroft

I realise by posting this that I am going to be perceived as a pedant, but whilst watching The Gold on BBC1, the drama about the Brinks Mat robbery of 1983 the other night I was niggled by the fact that the two Detectives are driving a Ford Granada mk3, these did not come out until 1985....

Also, whilst watching the second programme in the series on BBC Iplayer, the main copper, Hugh Bonneville looks at a home counties map that clearly shows the M25 as being fully built and Staines Upon Thames. The M25 was not completed until October 1986 and Staines did not take on the rather pompous new title until 2011.

Gets my goat that these mistakes are made, its not difficult to check this stuff out.......

Endeavour and Inspector George Gently are/were riddles with mistakes like this...spoils the programme for me and obviously makes one question the credibility of them...has the story been messed with?

Maybe I should get out more?????

14 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

I realise by posting this that I am going to be perceived as a pedant,

You're not alone. My wife is forever pointing out errors with costumes (she was a theatre/tv/film costumière) and will complain that in a period piece someone is wearing a dress 5 years later than the date set etc.

This very morning she started to read a new book received yesterday and pointed out that the illustration on the cover is dodgy. The book is set just after WW2 but the young lady is wearing a dress from 1932, I did say that maybe she hadn't got anything newer 😉. Didn't work as she replied the dress is a haute couture job.

I largely agree with Tim, in that a period program should be fundamentally correct. So long as they have made a good effort to replicate the correct era I can accept that compromises are required, but where a program dismisses this and shows multiple incorrect items that would not have existed at the time it destroys the whole drama for me.

P.S. In model railway terminology anyone who is overly pedantic about accuracy is called a "Rivet Counter" - the sort individual who complains if the number of rivets on a model is not exactly correct. Some rail modeller even run modified wagons fitted with a radar antenna on the roof to detect/annoy River Counters!

• Haha 1

I am more concerned and very annoyed when so called 'experts' falsify and re-write history, such as when a well known publisher of car repair manuals published a book about Main Battle Tanks. The 'expert' who wrote the book clearly stated that Vickers, designed and built the first Challenger MBT's, and, were responsible for using Rolls Royce CV12 engines as it's powerpack instead of the Leyland L60 used in Chieftain. All wrong.

Another so called 'expert' wrote a series of books about Rolls Royce from its inception to the present day, he too said Vickers insisted on the CV12's and built the first Challengers.

How do I know, I worked there when the ROF was designing the Challenger, and there when they were first handed over to the British Army in March 83.

3 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Thanks Howard, I always thought a 'rivet counter' was the same as a 'bean counter', an accountant!

Learn something new everyday!

And thank you for entering the RBRR.

Make sure they are correct scale.

2 minutes ago, Kevin R said:

Didn't they stick lentils on Spitfires to resemble rivets to assess the effect on airspeed in WW2 😂😂😂

Yes, and the speed increase from using flush rivets probably saved this country from tyranny.

Please don't mock those who have served or supported those who do/did.