1500 FWD SERVICE/ Stainless exhaust

John McDonnell

You will find people have personal opinions on oil. I use Penrite or Millers, depending whether the engine tends to low or high oil pressure.

Plugs can be awkward, too. Generally, NGK (BP5ES or BP6ES) are among the least bad, though Bosch W78 were good, it's just that only the WR78 are available now, and they're resistive, which is bad for old car ignition systems.

Stainless exhaust for a 1500FWD? Your best bet is probably the Dolomite Club.

• Like 1

"Best" oil is difficult. Partly because it depends how the car will be used. 

If general use, no hard/long/fast motorway drives, no thrashing the engine etc, I would suggest almost any of the "classic" 20-50 oils will be adequate. If the engine is going to have a hard time, spend more. Penrite or Milers CSS do a great job, but at greater cost and not really needed for most classic car owners. 

As to exhaust, agree with Rob, the TDC is the place to go to

• Like 1

Echoing Rob and Clive's advice, the only place you'll get a stainless system 'off the shelf' is the Triumph Dolomite Club. You have to join to see the price list though!

I bought a stainless exhaust for my 1300fwd off them last year. However they didn't do a manifold it - I bought a mild steel tubular one separately.

The other option would be to look around your local area for exhaust fabricators. The TDC ones fit nicely though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

You have to join to see the price list though!

True, but when I needed an exhaust for my Toledo, the cost of a year's membership, added to their correctly made, stainless Toledo system, still came to less than Rimmers wanted for a mild steel "would need small modifications" system.

• Like 3