More TR7 Headlamps!

TReslaV8

Hello, I have seen the thread with Nigel/Howard on TR7 headlamps and followed the steps mentioned but my fault is different (I think!) to that described elsewhere. The lights work but the pods do not rise. Having tested the connections at the lights the blue/brown wire is showing 12v on a multimeter but the blue/purple is showing nothing (both sides).  I have also tried the manually raising the pods 3cm and turning the switch on, and no movement at all either side.  So do I now need to check the Pektron unit or is it more likely that the motors are kaput?  

Many thanks in advance 

David

27 minutes ago, TReslaV8 said:

Hello, I have seen the thread with Nigel/Howard on TR7 headlamps and followed the steps mentioned but my fault is different (I think!) to that described elsewhere. The lights work but the pods do not rise. Having tested the connections at the lights the blue/brown wire is showing 12v on a multimeter but the blue/purple is showing nothing (both sides).  I have also tried the manually raising the pods 3cm and turning the switch on, and no movement at all either side.  So do I now need to check the Pektron unit or is it more likely that the motors are kaput?  

Many thanks in advance 

David

David, on my 7 I know if i try a manual raise with the wiring connected the motor activate and the light raises then lowers, (from memory) you certainly feel the motor. 

Connect it all up then try winding the motor manually if it moves i suggest it is something other than the motor.  I would suspect motors if only one was not working both indicates something else. 

Edited by Matt306

Matt,

Disconnect the battery then wind the pods to the fully up position. With the light switch in the on position they should should stay up when you reconnect the battery. Then switch the main light switch off which should cause them to move to the down position.

This will prove if the motors are working or if there is a common problem e.g. thermal overload relay as the down signal does not depend on the Pektron. Let us kow the result.

Cheers

Howard

So tried the two ideas and nothing happening. With both headlamps manually wound up (power off and battery lead off) , then switch on and reconnected battery and lights on, but switching off the lights just did that, switched the lights off and the pods remained up.

David 

Further news…just tried the not very scientific “wiggle the connections” with the light switch on, particularly those behind the fuse box. No reaction from the headlamps but a nice hot electrics smell very quickly from these connectors, even a small wisp of smoke. needless to say switched off pronto and stopped playing with the connectors!  This doesn’t sound encouraging…

HEADLIGHTS

If you have increasing problems with the pop-up mechanism for your headlights, which might remain down but they do light up, then first try tapping the relays as they must both click to operate the headlight pop-up actuators. Do carefully check the wiring in the engine bay to ensure the bullet connectors are making proper electrical connections and that the earth connection is sound. Another thing to check is the cut-out connections which you will find close to the fuses and relays.

Either switching the headlights on or operating the headlight flash should result in both relays clicking and the lights popping-up. If a headlight light sticks up and does not pop down this could be either malfunction of the relays or poor wiring connections.

It is important here to check the individual wire connectors and not the 3-way connector. If the connectors are corroded, loose or have a poor fit a quick fix after removing the corrosion is to add a narrow piece of kitchen foil to improve the connection!

Stolen from TR DRIVERS CLUB Electrical Issues

Cheers for the further notes, I have lashed out on a couple of new relays, so will try those next and note what is said about the connections.  Of course I had hoped to take the car to France (Caux Retro not Le Mans Classic!) this weekend, but as crossing is tomorrow (Thursday) I am running out of time. Whatever I will give an update next week, if only as these threads are really helpful - reassures that one’s own car is not the only one that frustrates, but also great tips on sorting issues.

Thanks again, David