Triumph Herald 13/60 seat fixings - locking of folding seat

Antonnick

I went for a te-test of my 13/60 today with the GermanTüV organisation and the man still does not like the way that the seat "chassis frame" if I can call it that is fixed to the floor. Although I have used the standard original bolt size for the front, he complains it is not strong enough - I must use minimum M8 with a more solid washer underneath. That is easily remedied. However.......

..he maintains that the folding seat should have some sort of mechanism at the rear end to stop it tipping foreward in the event of an accident. 

When I look in the workshop manual, I see that there is nothing shown for the Herald but indeed the Spitfire, although it has a differing "chassis frame" does have something to lock the seat. 

Does anyone know something about this?

That would seem logical - I know that for example, a morris minor does not have any such clips holding the back end down. Never mind. The whole thing came to his intention because I had not bolted the frame down tightly enough. 

The inspector checked the internet for any info and I have had a look in Canleys as well - also for the Vitesse - which does not list anything. It would probably be "not available" anyway. He advised that I should drill  and insert say a 6mm thread through the seat frame and secure with a winged nut. Ok, if it makes him happy. 

Would that be to lock the seat down to the rails and then you have to undo them each time someone wants to use the back seat? Im not even sure in the event of a crash the front seats would flip as the force is horizontal to the ground - more worrying would be the engine and gearbox coming backwards😳

Yes that is correct - it is though very seldom that anyone uses the back seat. In any case, once the inspector is satisfied and certifies the roadworthiness for the next two years, I can always take it off again. 

But I agree totally - in the event of a serious crash , the seat coming loose would be the least of the worries. Actually , he did not like the bolt size at the front either. I had used M6 to replace the imperial size but he considers that to be too weak so will need to put in M8 and use a thick washer underneath. Problem is, the head of an M8 will not very likely not allow the seat to slide over it. 

• 2 weeks later...