Tom2000

Tom2000 wrote:
Fibre glass GT6 bonnet in good to v.good condition - how much would I be looking at second hand?

Like most things, it depends if there is anyone looking for one when you are looking to sell, but fibreglass ones are much less sought after than steel ones - I've just been given a fibreglass one as the previous owner (Doug) had failed to find anyone else willing to take it, even for free - that said, it is decidedly "used".

By and large the fit is supposedly not great (mines not fitted yet), but that said, the steel ones are hard to come by cheaply, so people do go for the f/g ones as an interim measure.

The main factor is usually location - bonnets are bulky and difficult to move if you don't have a van, so if someone near you wants one then great, otherwise you might struggle to shift it.

I bid on one on ebay last week - it was in the wilds of norfolkshire and collect only so I assumed it would go cheap (they often go for about £75-100) it ended up selling at £205.00 and it didn't even have the support tubes or anything fitted.
I actually won one last year for £65.00 and was described as perfect condition - when I went to collect it had a big crack in the nearside wing, was heavily repaired at the front and de-laminated in same place at the front inside and cracked and broken around both bonnet cathes. Obviously been in a front end crash so walked away from it, seller got all stroppy and said 'it only needs a bit of filler and matting' - notice he didn't leave ma a non paying negative feedback though  ;D (it was in Hull if it re-surfaces again and is painted signal red)
So still looking for one as well

Well I can either flog the lot as one or break it;
Tax free V5 ('71), tub with new bulk head, windscreen frame, floor pans and boot, rear fibreglass wings, boot lid, on a rolling chassis which has been completely stripped, rebuilt and protected. Steel hardtop in great condition (fully repainted) with new windows, seals and head lining, all wishbones, steering rack, hubs and brakes all stripped and repainted and one fibreglass GT6 bonnet. Dad reckons i'd be better breaking :(

Archived