Spitfire A post seals

abandonearth

Morning folks, and seasons greetings. 

Now the Spitfire (1971 mkIV) is mechanically happy, I thought it was about time to stop the water getting in. 

I've been browsing parts catalogues looking at the a post (windscreen) seal. Currently the car has furflex from the top of the b post all the way round to the top of the windscreen. From memory this doesn't seem correct. 

Should there be an additional rubber seal (see https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-620403) and then furflex, or just furflex up to the bottom of this seal? Or is the furflex satisfactory?

And - should the door check strap gaskets be attached to the door or the a post? I'm sure on my 1500 (twenty years ago) they were attached to the latter, on the mkIV it's the former. 

Thanks in advance. 

23 hours ago, abandonearth said:

Morning folks, and seasons greetings. 

Now the Spitfire (1971 mkIV) is mechanically happy, I thought it was about time to stop the water getting in. 

I've been browsing parts catalogues looking at the a post (windscreen) seal. Currently the car has furflex from the top of the b post all the way round to the top of the windscreen. From memory this doesn't seem correct. 

Should there be an additional rubber seal (see https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-620403) and then furflex, or just furflex up to the bottom of this seal? Or is the furflex satisfactory?

And - should the door check strap gaskets be attached to the door or the a post? I'm sure on my 1500 (twenty years ago) they were attached to the latter, on the mkIV it's the former. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hello,

There should be two seals on the windscreen post. The furflex running from the windscreen capping around the door opening to the B post capping. The second is a "P" shaped seal running parallel to the furflex, but outboard. Together these form a channel the door glass fits into when fully closed. The bulb of the "P" shaped seal is placed away from the furflex with the flat section running under the edge of the furflex. The "P" shaped seal continues below the level of the dash for several inches.

The check strap seal would have been on the A-post originally.

Cheers,

Paul

On 25/12/2023 at 11:27, drofgum said:

Hello,

There should be two seals on the windscreen post. The furflex running from the windscreen capping around the door opening to the B post capping. The second is a "P" shaped seal running parallel to the furflex, but outboard. Together these form a channel the door glass fits into when fully closed. The bulb of the "P" shaped seal is placed away from the furflex with the flat section running under the edge of the furflex. The "P" shaped seal continues below the level of the dash for several inches.

The check strap seal would have been on the A-post originally.

Cheers,

Paul

Yep correct , I bought some of the `P `shaped rubber seal from a stand at Stoneleigh, stuck it on with black rubber adhesive, So in effect the window glass runs in between both the seals 

• 3 weeks later...