Triumph GT6 Mk1 wanted

15 hours ago, Andersonfi said:

Hi, just started looking for a Triumph GT6 Mk2 in perfect condition if anyone is thinking of selling? 

Thanks Fiona

Have you seen the ones on car and classic? couple of nice looking ones on there at the moment.

There are a couple of red Mk2s on carandclassic, one for circa £21.5k which looks very good, the other one has been on the site for months and has very poor panel fit.

Good one: https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1674685

Body condition and panel fit are the most important factors when buying a GT6 or Spitfire....

Mechanics are not such a problem as parts are available...although starting to get pricey. Weak points are the transmission components, especially the gearbox, closely followed by the diff and driveshafts....most mk2s will have now been converted from rotoflex coupled driveshafts to CV equipped driveshafts.

As ever the general advice is too take time and but with the head, not the heart!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually - I have just realised the changes in the front bumper between a Mk 1 and 2 and prefer the look of the Mark 1! Can I change my request to looking for a Mark 1? There is a green one for sale for restoration but it’s a lot of work…

• Clive changed the title to Triumph GT6 Mk1 wanted
48 minutes ago, Andersonfi said:

Actually - I have just realised the changes in the front bumper between a Mk 1 and 2 and prefer the look of the Mark 1! Can I change my request to looking for a Mark 1? There is a green one for sale for restoration but it’s a lot of work…

You cannot edit until you join the Club, just one of the many good reasons to join. So I have edited the title for you.

• Like 1

Very nice mk2 on carandclassic  at the moment, big money though. In probably the best for the mk2...wedgewood or powder blue.

I wonder if it was the car owned by Lewis Hamilton's dad, Anthony?

He visited the start of the 2019 RBRR in a very similar car.

£28K...!!!

That is a bit of a hybrid. Mk1s don't have louvres in the front wings as they only came in with the Mk2. The sidelights and the larger wing finishers are correct for a Mk1. Nice colour BTW.

The bumper has been altered (rather well I must say) to remove the centre section. Some that I have seen have been just cut, this one has been nicely shaped to mimic the outer ends. It doesn't achieve anything on a Mk1, other than an altered aesthetic.

My RBRR co-driver is keen for me to do this on my Mk2, particularly after I let on that had a spare front bumper. I think it could look nice if done properly and would increase airflow into the radiator.

In order to put a Mk1 bumper on a Mk2 car, I think you would need Mk1 hinge boxes (which are welded to the chassis) and bonnet tubes. Mk2s have one piece side/indicator lights which should still be OK with a low bumper.

Ian

Edited by GT64fun
update

47 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

shave the profile of the mk2 bumper to increase airflow into the radiator...

Al la E Type Jag. Didn't know that Kas did it.

The Mk2 bumper must do an excellent job of deflecting air away from the inlet grille. IIRC it was a response to minimum bumper heights for the USA market.

Rubber bumper MGs fared less well in terms of looks. 

Owned a mk2 gt6 for 20 years bog standard unrestored, still has all the original cardboard rad cowls. Never had any overheating problems, even stuck in miles of traffic on a hot summer's day, standard engine fan. 

Inside the car is a different matter.