Spitfire Mk3 Distributor Faults?

MarkB

Hi
I am trying to eliminate possible faults which may cause an uneven erratic poor running engine possibly pointing to timing issues distributor fault. Carbs/fuel been eliminated. The engine is a 1300 Small crank 1360/Mk3 Spit lump unidentifiable. The query I have is that the two distributors I have with the Tacho drives, are both Delco Remy but are different. The one on the left is the D200 the right a D204. The D200 has the earth wire screwed onto the base plate but the other has a spade type connector like the condenser. Can any one tell me where this is meant to attach. Presumably the base plate but wont go under the condenser. The only other place I can see would be under the head of the points screw. Also out of the two which would have originally been fitted to the Mk3 Spit. I also have several lucas distributors and am not concerned about originality and have an elctronic tacho if you think the lucas would perform better.

Cheers

Mark  

Hi Dizzy on the left is the correct one for mk3 spit, however you need to check the max advance as it could be a mk1/2 spitfire dizzy which have much less advance as they are static timed at 17deg. Also the black earth wire does go onto the condenser securing bolt. As for faults........well there are none. The only faults to be had are a worn distributor. I would also like to point out that the other dizzy is for mk4 spitfires/1300 dolomites but could also be for any other triumph engine with similar needs at the time. Problem is the spitfires had a quicker advance curve than the less sporty models so you really need to check. Personally i would send off the one on the left to H&H ignitions to be rebuilt with the correct advance etc for the application. £105 it costs and the car will then have the right dizzy curves. Hope this helps.

Chris.

Archived