1600 Vitesse to Later GT6/Vitesse front brakes

Paul Garvey

I've a reasonably modified 1600 Vitesse but it has tiny type 12 calipers so need to get better brakes.

I've sourced a set of NOS GT6 discs and dust shields and recently scored a set of reconditioned 16P calipers for a dozen beers.  (Bargain of the year.)

My plan is to keep the exising 1600 vertical links and steering arms, bore out the vertical link to take the larger diameter GT6/later Vitesse stub axle and throw everything on.

My problem is I'm in NZ where Vitesse bits are very few and far between and I'm short the GT6/later Vitesse caliper mounting brakets, stub axels and hubs.

These will be weighty so will cost a bit to frieght over so I don't suppose anyone has any spares?   ::)

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,
The Vitesse 6 already has the larger diameter stub axle and appropriate vertical link. The part number for the Vitesse 6 hub is 132881, which doesn't correspond to either Herald/Spitfire or Vitesse 2L/GT6 type. You may be able to retain your exisiting hub, it obviously fits the stub & bearing, just a matter of whether the bigger disc will install correctly.
It looks like you may only need the caliper mounting brackets, should make freight a little cheaper,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived