Laycock D'Type solenoid adjustment

Richard B

This is a new (to us) unit which we have just fitted.

I'm having problems with a D'Type overdrive not engaging. It may be that the rod needs adjusting.

Does anyone know what size spanner fits the plunger to hold it whilst turning the adjusting locknut.

Is it 3/16" As a 1/4" is too large.

I drove it round the block and if I move the lever by hand the overdrive cuts it and holds fine, however the solenoid does not seem to pull the rod far enough  :'(

Hope we do not have to take the gearbox out again  ??)

Hi Richard,

Can't remember the spanner size unfortunately, but do remember pushing the rod whilst driving as you are.

I do seem to remember the adjustment being very fine to be just right, adjusting it one flat at a time and then back again.

Not sure why it was so critical but all is still working a few years & about 4000 miles on.

Sorted. (shhh)

A friend had given the gearbox and OD a once over, but I needed to replace the solenoid before fitting the unit to the car as the old one was shot. The piston was sticking in the new solenoid, a bit of a clean up with wet and dry has sorted that for now (thanks James) (pray)

nb it was a 5mm spanner to hold the shaft of the piston. Bought a mini metric spanner set on bay of evil.

Richard_B wrote:
Sorted. (shhh)

A friend had given the gearbox and OD a once over, but I needed to replace the solenoid before fitting the unit to the car as the old one was shot. The piston was sticking in the new solenoid, a bit of a clean up with wet and dry has sorted that for now (thanks James) (pray)

nb it was a 5mm spanner to hold the shaft of the piston. Bought a mini metric spanner set on bay of evil.

Metric?

I remember adjusting mine and it wasn`t metric......even though I cant  remember the imperial size