Where did the time go?

Raider

??) Ok team, I need help if I am going to start working out what went wrong on the second half of the run.
OK, I know about the accident and the car rally in Menton - oh, and my error in timing leaving Nice.
There is still one area that has me baffled though - according to notes I made at the time we left Lesa 2.5 hours late but arrived in Vaduz 6 hours late! That's an average of 22mph. I know we were riding shotgun for a sick Triumph 2000 but have I really got my figures right? Did anyone else make any notes on this?
I thought the roads were pretty good but I was asleep most of the time!
Any thoughts?

As I recall the conditions were pretty nasty - the rain and dark plus mountain roads all conspired to knock the timings out, we had a couple of navigation errors - that map of France was a tricky scale - difficult to use I found but then I  am pampered usually by sat nav! Plus of course we later had a few borders to content with. Whilst they were not particulalry slow youo do have to stop and that takes time (we needed a bigger anchor) Those stops are in addition to all the fuel stops so are "wasted" time.
I also think that some of the timings must have been optimistic or maybe left us with little margin as we really hammered it on the last day, all day and didn't seem to make up any time. Poor old Stretch was given a several and comprehensve thrashing.

we lost due to my navigator passing out with a high temperature! and getting badly lost after we left you with your starter problem,I stuck to the white tornado like glue and they were wringing its neck! 75/80mph whenever possibleand still we didnt make up the time we lost in the night,nasty weather didnt help,would suggest we go for the med dip at  8.00am look to get out of Nice by 9.00am couldnt do a thing about the accident,would have taken us 2hrs minimum to get round it,then we are building in a bit of catch up time,when I do it again I am going to plot plan b routes with witten notes  staple them to relavant pages in the atlas/map,would be an idea to pass this info on to teams before event,what do you reckon?
PS really upsett my neigboughs today getting the tune right on those carbs! slightly weaker idle jet,really picks up well now,just cant get a smooth tick over out of it yet! as the rolling road is £48 per hour will stick with it a while yet!

Although our car wasn't well, we could actually keep a reasonable pace - 60mph ... hence on the Sunday night we passed a TR and 2500 somewhere in Switzerland on a motorway. We got badly lost in Turin attempting to take a "short-cut" to Lesa, and then overheated 'cos the thermostat got stuck. Then we found that the rear lights had gone!

I would really blame the accident near Tendre for the hold up, and then the domino effect of not having that extra time to allow for little 'incidents'.

I think I know what your problem is here Andy - you need a nice safe, simple Solex!

Archived