Do it again, at home!

JohnD

All,
I was messing about with Google Earth, looking for Ventimiglia, and that gorgeous looping, tunneling, leaping motorway up into Italy.  Ventimiglia is at 43degrees 48minutes 00.29seconds North and 7 degreees 35 minutes 59.56seconds East.  The Italian coast towards Genoa  is shown at very high resolution.

Go down to about 1500ft, tilting and rotating your view so you are looking along that Mway (it disappears into the cliff to the East of Ventimiglia).  Engage the 'Terrain' feature and position the cursor over the red button in the centre of the direction buttons.  Press the left button on your mouse and keep it pressed.
  Push the mouse forwards - and you are flying along the Mway!   
Experience all those swoops and turns again.  You can't fly through the tunnels - you can't fly through the hills either, GE pushes you up,  but even so.  Eventually you run out of hi-res, but it's a fun flight!

John

Lots of views - has anyone else been able to make this work?

The difficult bit in my experience, is entering the Lat & Long.  I can't get Google Earth to 'fly to' such coordinates.  But if you position the cursor over south east France, zoom in and then move the cursor until the right Lat & Long appear in the bottom left hand corner, that should find Ventimiglia.

John

Archived