Pre-10CR breakdowns

32valves

Some of you may remember that my Sprint expired about 36hrs before the off. I've finally got round to pulling the engine and stripping it down to find out what went wrong. I found a bent inlet valve on Cylinder No.1. One half of the collet was in pieces all over the inside of the tappet bucket, the other half is still jammed in the cap. The valve itself had picked up on the guide and seemed to be welded to it ! I had to take a decent drift and hammer to get it out.

I had a new set of valve guides fitted by a local 'reputable' firm before I fitted this head to the bottom end rebuilt by Canleys. The firm in question returned the head to me requiring only shimming and final assembly. I guess the valve must have seized half way down its travel which broke the collet and then it got clouted a few times by the piston. Hope the piston/conrod is OK, it seems alright. Anyway I'm going to get Canleys to do ALL of the stripping, checking, and re-assembly this time.

At the moment I'm considering how to approach the bloke who did the head work ...

Well at least you now have a diagnosis and can plan rectification. Make sure you take the thing to the original machine shop and that they get the opportunity to comment/offer a solution or you'll get nowhere with them - unless you just want to put it down to (bad) experience and move on ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived