Spitfire  & GT6  -  Rally Winners ?

Greta

It's an easy question - but a difficult answer.

In trying to gather evidence to support the rallying heritage of our wee cars I've been trying to searching googles archives.

I knew from Graham Robson's book about The Works Triumphs that Roy Fidler & John Hopwood took the 1962 built development car 412 VC to second overall in The 1964 Welsh International Rally.
Also that year Terry Hunter & Piot Lier took ADU 7B to 2nd o/a on The Geneva Rally

And I knew that class wins were achieved in 1964 on the Tour de France, Paris 1000km and in 1965 on the Geneva & Alpine Ralliys ....

But surely with a name like TRIUMPH my 2009 win in Greta on the Tour of Cheshire couldn't be the only time a Spitfire or GT6 had won a rally out right! In any case a humble historic road rally isn't really in the same class as International Rallies back in the day. I was drawing a blank. BTW  - do please post here replies about other Spitfire and GT6 class or out right wins on competitive  Licensed rallying events.

Anyway I had to find out more.

Working on a hunch that as at least some of the works rally Spitfires had been sold in France I started to search google.fr - Bingo - vindication of what we all already know - our little cars ARE capable of winning amongst the more exulted marques.

Jean-Louis Barailler is listed as being the outright winner in 1968 on the Ralle Petroleum-Provence in a Spitfire 1300 and in a GT6 he won The Ralle d'Antibes in both 1967 & 1969.

* Rallye Pétrole-Provence : 1968 avec Maximilien Sibon, sur Triumph Spitfire 1300;
Jean-Louis Barailler

* Rallye d'Antibes: 1967 et 1969 avec Maximilien Sibon, sur Triumph GT6 (6e en 1974);

I've not yet found alternative sources or photos so do please contribute to either verify or refute the above. As this has probably been discussed before please can someone also provide a link to any earlier discussions.

Here is  JJ Thuner on the 1967 Monte Carlo Rally - interestingly this car seems to be carrying the same registration as one of the cars above. - Unfortunately he did not finish.
Does anyone know of other Spitfire or GT6 entries on the Monte Carlo?

Quoted from Greta
This one I think is from Mugello

As this is not  a Rally Spitfire - I thought I might do the ID and leave it for the Race Boys to cherish: No. 125 was driven by Michel Pilet (CH) & Marizio Marsini (I) in the 1967 Circuit Mugello where they came 41st in the race won by Udo Shutz in a Porsche 910

Anyone ID this - with its ill fitting none standard hardtop.
Several of the pictures are taken from a French Forum - Does anyone know if the reference is to an actual book or just a blog. Triumphs en Rallye de 1960s is going on my Amazon wish List if such a book still exists.
The caption suggests it's a GT6 but there's no bulge - is the driver Christine Dacremont and if so what is the vehicle specification and event?
I was searching for info about Jean-Louis Barailler - who I'm beginning to believe may have been the most successful Triumph Rally driver - if not of all time certainly of the Spitfires & GT6's. It's interesting to note our the competitive spirit of our little triumphs in Rallying didn't just die when FIA Regulations and Comp Dept attentions turned to 2000's and 2500Pi s

My research on this thread seems to be developing into more of a study about post competition dept rallying in France. I think I've finally unraveled the the url of the French forum - so may as well share it here for you all to scroll through - there's as much in there about TR's and sheds as Spits & GT6s :

http://www.forum-auto.com/sport-auto/histoire-du-sport-auto/sujet378115.htm

This is also a very useful site: it's a collective effort to realist events, entrants and results - needless to say the French have already made many entries.

https://www.ewrc-results.com

• 3 months later...