Spit - New type 12 brake calipers - any good?

Benjamin Swatton

These did not use to be available new but now they are so has anybody bought the new type 12 ones from suppliers and have they found them to be as reliable/good quality as OEM girlings?

I'm suprised there is enough of a market for these to be new manf. So keen to know if they have not shorted cutted the quality/design

• 1 month later...

Purchased a pair of new manf. Type 12s as well an overhauled OEM for comparison. I would go OEM but no RH available at moment

The overhauled is yellow passivated/cadmium plated and looks to have nickel plated pistons

The new caliper is zinc plated with pistons that also look zinc plated - so cheaper less corrosion resistant finish overall. Dimensions look OK. 

1627941223030525404024.jpg

1627941311225778902335.jpg

• Like 2

I decided to have a look inside the overhauled caliper to see if had been passivated inside which it was. The pistons in photo I think are nickel plated as theh have that hue and you can see the tell tale electrolysing marks inside bore, the external finish is not highly polished more like a brushed finish - I almost thought is was stainless but the marks inside confirm not.

I had a visual look at the new caliper pistons I'm sure these are plain steel but the external finish is more highly polished than the nickel ones.

1628357901952146443478.jpg

1628357998218-1664126653.jpg

1628358037352-216592893.jpg

Received another overhauled OEM caliper from different supplier and it appears that it has come from the same overhauling company however thay had to send me two as the first was in such poor condition that I have a suspicion if was a previous customer return who maybe even swapped out one half of the caliper and then returned it... Anyway  v pleased supplier let me keep the dodgy one for free as well.