Dear All

Well that was quite a way to discover how a spifire's rear suspension can betray you, after all that love and affection and a vast amount of cash. I am of course reffering to my shameful exit from the RBRR at 2.10am on Saturday 2nd Where a wet road, a tight apex,and a startled dear engendered that awful oversteer inducing wheel tuck, that some of you will no doubt be familiar with. No I didnot accelerate through it

This is to say a big thank you to all of  those that stopped to check how we were and to give you an update. My Old spitty is dead the Chassis has kinked and pulled the front o/s back about 1inch .The bonnet is now banana shaped. The front O/S Hub finished up a long way from its intended geometry and broke the exhaust and an engine mount on the way. The sills are both a bit flattened and three wheels are no longer round.(kerbs), there is a dent in the rear o/s wing,(from a fencepost). But Some of the cash I had spent is still sitting on the wreck as well as some very good body panels ... I have raided the family piggy back and bought another Spitfire, (well you can't let a near death experience put you off for too long can you), so when I have finished putting the best bits onto the new purchase, I will advertise the rest including a rebuilt J type o/d unit and various other bits. In the meantime if any one needs a good n/s wing (front or back) you are more than welcome to come and cut them off for free as they will only be going to the scrappie.

I have a yellow dayglow jacket and a foldaway warning triangle that someone kindly lent me . If any one knows the owners please drop me a line and I will arrange for their swift return.

Cheers and see you on the next run

Darren ( Darren and Gareth car 52) 0780 3044026 :) :P

Darren,
Just glad you're OK, and that you've still got a positive outllook from such an experience!
We stopped and wished we could have done more, but with the car postitioned as it was we couldn't really help. It must have taken some recovering, but glad you got it back to salvage what you can. Look forward to seeing you on a future run.

All the best,

Keith Bennett

Archived