steve_1360

I've got a dodgy UJ on the rear axle shaft. I have read that you can get oversize circlips to set some preload onto the UJ's. The thing is i cannot find a description or figure for how much preload is needed? Does anybody know how to go about setting these up?

Cheers

Steve

Steve - my advice is - don't go there.
Buy a new or re-manufactured flange and set in a regular UJ and regular clips.
How do you know the old UJ hasn't just been pressed in too much (in which case like my recent example, it'll eventually fail)?
Also, when you store them, move house and remove stuff, how will you be able to remember which were the oversized you'd ordered and which the standard?
Keep it simple.
See my recent thread "instant help required" in case you get UJ's with greasing facility  - it's important ot orientate them properly and contact Coupe 948 for the UJ's and nipple hole blanking plugs to suit.
Good luck.C.

Thanks Colin for the advice but i already have the UJ, blanking plugs, normal clips and oversize clips. I did a bit of reading up before i started and made sure i got all the bits. Not changed them yet, but should do this week.
Cheers
Steve

[quote by=colintheartist link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1145918261,s=3 date=1146648513]Steve - my advice is - don't go there.
Buy a new or re-manufactured flange and set in a regular UJ and regular clips.
[/quote]

The different thickness circlips are not used to compensate for a worn flange or yoke, thet are an essential part of the factory precedure for installing driveshaft UJs. The same flange is used on the propshaft, however propshaft UJs are not intended to be set with the preload of the driveshaft.
This is the reason so many owners complain of UJs which click even when they have been recently replaced. Notes on doing the job properly here:
http://www.rarebits4classics.co.uk/Hints%20and%20Tips/UJ%20Replacement.htm
Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Bill - that's interesting. Are you saying I've just wasted my time popping in a replacement for that nasty UJ of mine and fitting the (presumably) standard circlips supplied?I'm sure a very well reknowned ex suppier and fount of much knowledge about Triumphs in Coventry said oversize clips are not always and only sometimes necessary.
I guess we get into semantics then about what is standard what comes as standard in repair kits etc..

I think that last one of mine went wonky because I remember ordering oversize clips for it, but also struggling to fit them with those oversize clips (it was a long time ago!).
Anyway - I'll not worry about it - it's silent, spins well (especially when after you've fitted them and they're a bit tight you just tap the radius of the flange or yoke and will do me  few more thou  kms!

Cheers,
C.

Archived