Slipping clutch or not? 1500 Spit

Paul318UK

Hi,
I have just taken off the gearbox to replace the clutch since the symptom was slipping under load, or full throttle in every gear.

However I have found the clutch is nearly new (just bought car).

I have noted the O.D. gearbox is low in oil (1" below level plug) but thought O.D. clutch can only effect 3&4th gears?
When I bought the car O.D. wasn't working but in the box removal have determined the 'on switch' wires were trapped and shorted on.

What do you think is most likely:-

O.D fault (J type), dodgy new clutch fitted, Slave cylinder set position not allowing full release or something else?

Paul

Paul

I had a Mk3 Spit who's O/D tended to slip every now and again, never did find the actual cause as one day it simply sorted itself out. Never have changed a clutch in a spit so don't know if the friction plate can be on the wrong way around, usually the boss prohibits this so maybe a mute point.

The solenoid for the O/D may not be latching out of O/D all the way and this i have heard can sometimes cause slip, i think you would know if the clutch hydraulics were off as you would not really get "feel" all the way on the stroke of the pedal, also you would see more of a problem engaging gears and not really slip if this was the case...

Archived