seized on brakes and clutch !

Camo

Ok more questions,
I have found  Herald that I hope to buy, it has not moved for 20+ years, the brake and clutch pedals do not depress at all, totally solid, the wheels I assume have the brakes locked on, what is the best way to get it rolling so it can be winched onto a trailer then pushed off at the other end when its at my home.
any advice is welcomed with open arms !!

Thanks in advance
Stuart

Hi Stuart,
You're going to need a decent crowbar, some square cut lengths of hardwood and a big hammer - a 4lb lump hammer should be adequate, but a sledge can be useful as an extra. Once you've checked that the handbrake is off and the car out of gear, remove the hubcaps. Place a wooden block over the centre of the wheel and it squarely with the hammer around the outside of the wheelnut circle, hit in line with the grain of the wood if possible. Now loosen all the wheelnuts and jack up one end of the car and remove the relevant wheels.
For drum brakes, hit all the way around the circumference with the wood interspersed between drum and hammer, squirt WD40/Plusgas in to the back of the drum. With the wheelnuts back on (but not the wheels), put the crowbar between diagonally opposite nuts/studs and try turning. It probably won't turn, but you might be lucky. Assuming all is still stuck, undo the drum fixing screws and try levering off the drum. This usually works but takes much longer to do than to describe. If the drum refuses to move, you will have to use the hammer directly on the drum - wear safety goggles. This will often smash the drum, but even if it doesn't, treat that drum as scrap as it will inevitably suffer cracking through the direct hammer blows. Ultimately the drum WILL loosen through shock, it may come off in several pieces. Put the wheel back on  without the drum.
With disc front brakes you should be able to drive out the pads with a cold chisel once you've knocked out the pins - again lots of WD40. After 20 years the discs will be scrap, so don't worry about damaging them when driving out the pads.
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks Bill, I shall assemble the various tools and get the car bashed about till she rolls !
IsupposeI hadn't got as far as thinking about what the brakes would be like once freed, but yes new brakes all round eventually.
I have got the MOT for ratty at last, but I think the main restoration will be the new car once she gets transported to her new home, that way I can drive one and do a proper job on the other. but as always my plans change all too often.
thanks again
Stuart

Archived