brucy

Hello All,

I've got myself a spit mk4 d type overdrive gearbox from a 1300 i believe.

If it's from a 1300 do i still need a different clutch plate? Also what length prop do i need? I've found the canley site http://www.canleyclassics.com/infodatabase.asp?article=propshafts but i don't know if the gearbox is 1/3 rail?

Thanks for the help

Andy

into a 13/60 or herald no clutch change needed. If it is a D type it will be 3 rail.

The gearbox looks identical to the existing one, except the tailpiece is a fat overdrive! The single rail box has a different style gearstick remote, and 21 (or is it 23?) splines on the input shaft, hence the different clutch plates. Worth checking clutch while you are in there.

The cheapest/easiest prop is a vitesse non overdrive, and you will need to swap one flange (the MK4 spit has a larger flange output, you diff has the small type) and worth changing UJ's at the same point, and maybe balanced. Or you may be lucky!
The vitesse prop is a tight fit and may require a bit of fiddling with engine mounts, but will go in. Otherwise get one cut or made from scratch.

Also mountings. You will need the rubber mount and plate, or make one up. Not difficult. And an angle drive with linger speedo cable. It never ends!

I think it is the length that is important, and the spit should be the same I think. If in doubt a vitees OD one would give you a bit extra. A spit 1500 will be no use as it has a clip fitting to the back of the speedo.
Canleys were good when I asked, but can't remember what they sold me!

The Spitfire Mk1-IV non-overdrive speedo cable is the same as the Herald non-overdrive. Hence the Spitfire Mk1-IV overdrive speedo cable will fit the Herald when fitted with the same overdrive box.
In fact, I have fitted an overdrive box into a Herald without changing the speedo cable on more than one occasion, but the speedo cables may not have been the originals in any case. You will need an angle drive, find a good original rather than using a repro,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived