Doig

When turning from dead centre to the right, I'm getting a loud creaking noise seemingly from the front right hand wheel. The creak also happens when your return from the right to the centre, there is no noise moving from the centre of the rack to the left.

There is some play in the univeral joints in the steering column but i can't see how this would only make the noise turning in one direction.I've checked the wheel bearings and greased the rack. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

OK silly question time can I remove the castellated top nut to replace the thrust washer without the spring / shock being released? It looks like there's another nut holding it further down.

Doig wrote:
OK silly question time can I remove the castellated top nut to replace the thrust washer without the spring / shock being released? It looks like there's another nut holding it further down.

No.

But you can tie bands round the springs (or fit spring compressors) whilst they are compressed by the weight of the car, and then undo the nut.

Cheers

Colin

Archived