CRAJ

Hi all, Is there a bush inside the steering column on our cars?
As I go over certain ripples in the road the steering wheel judders in your hands, and when stationary you can move the wheel up and down and side to side by a good 1/4", I can't do this on the estate.

Cheers Colin.

Have a look under the bonnet and see where the column comes through the bulkhead..... then wiggle the steering wheel...... if you see the bottom of the column move, its the bush between the column and the bulkhead. Easy to change, use a poly bush.

If it is the centre of the column moving in the tube............. then try slackening off the adjsuter clamp and tugging the whole outside of the column up towards to you......... sometimes it slips and allows play in the bush.

Just checked while I'm at work and I couldn't get anything to move, tried banging the wheel centre to push the inner down (suggested by Mike Stevens on the register forum)but no change.

I will look at the parts book and manual tonight for a possible exploded view of what's going on, but thanks anyway Alan.

Is the column the same right the way through mk2 production as my spares book is a FL onwards one?

Cheers Colin.

Archived