Vague steering

Toledo Man

The daily commute to York is taking it's toll on poor Becky II. I reckon I've pinpointed the problem. There's also a knock which I think is related to the vague steering. It is noticable at motorway speeds. The car pulls to the left if I let go of the steering wheel and it feels like the wheels are out of balance which is noticable at about 50mph (I had them balanced when I last had the front tyres replaced). The lower suspension arms were replaced for the MoT back in February (new ones are available). All the front suspension bolts were torqued up properly. I just want to know what you lot think before I reveal what I think is the problem.

Thoughts and opinions?

I checked the tyre pressures earlier on this week. All just under 30psi. The front tyres are Michelins. The problem was excessive play in the nearside track rod end so I've ended up replacing both sides. It has cured the vibrating and hopefully, the knock. This means that the tracking will need doing. Also, the nearside front tyre will need replacing as there's some wear. I'll replace the tyre, put some miles on and get the tracking done. I've only a week left of commuting to York before unemployment looms so Becky II will get some well-earned rest.

I always have them at 30psi all round. Most of my mileage is on motorways/dual carriageways.

The nearside front tyre definitely needed replacing and was done. After putting a few miles on I then got the tracking done. Hopefully, this will have improved things at the front. I will find out on my way to work on Monday.