Hi all,
I'm moving back to Britain from canada in a few months and I'm bringing my TR3 project with me. My question is, when I convert it form LHD to RHD is it worth converting to rack and pinion? If so, can anyone recommend a suitable supplier? I've seen one from revingtons, but would like to look at others as well.
Cheers

Flash

I would not bother converting, the hand brake lever just gets in the way.
If you are going to do the conversion then I would use one that is welded to the chassis and not one of the bolt on jobs. The chassis mounts for the steering were not really made to take the forces produced by a rack and pinion.
You will also need a smaller steering wheel otherwise the steering is too light.

Why not just set up the original steering properly?

AndyF

Cheers Andy. I will definately have to convert the car. After driving on the wrong side of the road for 5 years, it would be very difficult to drive a LHD on the left. Can I use a LHD steering box on the right? I'd be more than happy to keep the original steering system but I thought that if I have to buy all new parts I might as well upgrade.
Paul

Paul,
no you cannot use a LHD steering box onthe right the 'boxes are different.
I drove on the left for over 25 years and still drive the TR with LHD in the UK, no problem at all and think about the advantage when you do take it into main land Europe on the 10CR.
But as you say if you are going to buy new bits anyway then do the conversion, and give me the stuff you don't need.  ;D

AndyF

Archived