Sump plugs - threadsize?

Richard_M

I need to site an oil temp sensor in my sump - and am thinking that an adapter on the plug is the easiest way - I don't want to mess with the sump itself if I can help it, it's race baffled.

So - Demon Tweeks among others will charge me 20% above the going rate - but what thread size do I need? And isn't it tapered?

Thanks

Richard

The sensor is electrical.

I currently have it in a T tube off the usual spot with the oil pressure switch. The capillary oil pressure gauge is run off one of the other taps on the block.

But the oil temp gauge won't work here. I figure its not actually immersed in the oil, as there is air in the T piece, which becomes pressurised by the oil - so the pressure switch works, but not the temp gauge.

I've come to this conclusion having checked the sensor for correct resistance (using hot water) and checked the gauge out of the car with local wiring. I've checked the car wiring too.

Its turned into one of those very frustrating jobs that should be simple, but ain't!

A dipstick solution might be good - it's not my fist choice to start playing with sump plug adapters - on a race car!

Richard

Archived