Reversing light switch on 3-rail gearbox

Ian Perry

I'm struggling to remember the details, but I'm fairly sure that it's possible to fit a reversing light switch to the 3-rail gearbox found on Toledos and presumably some Spitfires, Heralds etc. Does anyone have definitive information please?

MOY doesn't have a reversing light, but it would be useful. The Repair Operations Manual says that it was an optional fitment so I assume that it was a fairly straightforward job to fit (the loom might even have some or all of the necessary wiring...)

VM TIA

I thought the Toledo has the 4 synchro box?
You really need a peek, but it may well have an extension bracket at the very front of the linkage, and you may just need a bracket and switch. I don't think there is wiring in place, didn't see it on my toledo, but then again I may have missed it. Maybe I should have another look.

Ah, I misunderstood. Yes, at least as far as I know, the Toledo is 4-synchro! (albeit a bit weak on 1st and 2nd).

I'll have a rummage under the gearbox cover and see what I can find. Wiring a switch and feed to the back of the car should be straightforward enough if it isn't already there. The car's a very late 1972 model (registered on 20 Dec 72), if that means anything