Rev counter wiring

john_classic

Hi all,
I've got hold of a 2nd electronic rev counter (blew the first one by wiring it incorrectly!) from a 2.5pi and I was hoping someone could check the wiring for me so I don't destroy this one too!
I'm fitting it to my GT6 so I don't have a handy haynes manual or any other reference and I've had no joy from google.
There are 4 connectors from top to bottom:

1) male bullet connector.
2) male spade connector.
3) female bullet connector?
4) male spade connector.

1) I'm guessing is a +ve or -ve coil connection not sure which.
2) Earth?
3) I'm guessing is a +ve or -ve coil connection not sure which.
4) Must be a ground as it's connected to the casing.

Any pointers welcome!

Not a clue, sorry! Best bet would be to look at a 2500 dash harness if you can. This counter obviously has fittings that can only be wired up one way with the original wiring, so knowing what colour wires go where and tracing them back on a diagram would obviously be the best bet, but I guess you already know that!

Not sure why there's so many connectors though. Could it be the counter sits in the middle of the LT circuit, instead of taking a wire off the coil like normal? In which case I'd say male spade earth, male spade positive (that'll be insulated by a plastic grommet most likely), and then the two bullets for the LT circuit.

The only counters I can clearly remember fitting (I think I had one that sat in the LT circuit many years ago, but it's a very dim memory) have three connectors - Positive, negative, and wire from the coil. That's certainly how the ones in my Dolomites have been, and how the TIM pod one I've got kicking around wires up.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I got a rev counter out of a 2.5 (I think) dashboard. This has only three connections (see attached). It says "RVC" on the dial.

(3) is obviously ground, as it's connected to the casing . (1) is a bullet type connector and the (2) is a spade type connector.

From reading the other posts, I would assume that the bullet connector (1) is for the 12v +ve feed (from the ign switch) and the spade connector (2) goes to one of the connections on the coil or the distributor CB connection?

I do have electronic ignition fitted so I guess I may need to experiment a bit with where to connect the pulse lead (whichever of the two connections that actually goes to).

I'll probably start by trying the distributor CB connection (-ve of the coil) then try the +ve of the coil, until it works.

Hopefully doing it this way will allow me to experiment without frying it. Hopefully if the +ve and ground connections are at least correct, this will not happen.

From what most prople have said, it looks like the +12v feed goes to the bullet connector (1)? Unless anybody can offer any advice or info?

Regards
Daryl.

Archived