thebrookster

Well, I have had a quick look around, and seem to have gotten myself more confused than when I started!!

Basically, my starter has all but packed in on my Mk1 2000. It is of the inertia type.

Now, when I come to remove it today I discovered that the two nuts/bolts holding it too the bellhousing were loose (as in you could move the starter by nearly an inch by hand). So that was problem 1.

Problem two, once I removed the starter (who on earth designed that top ruddy bolt????????) I found that the rear of the shaft (the square end) had significant play in it. On top of that the brushes need to be replaced.

So, I thought I would simply get a replacement starter, and either hopefully send this one back as part-ex, or I could rebuild it myself when I had more time in hand. Then I looked on Witors website, and noted the cost. Hmmmm.

So basically, I have seen mention of Vitesse/GT6 having same starter. Is there anywhere cheaper for one of these (and more importantly can anyone advise me as to the part number so I know what to search for!!).

Also, there seems to be mixed views on High Torque starters, are they worth it?? And if so, where do I get one from?

Or, am I stuck with rebuilding!!

Cheers,

Phil

thescrapman wrote:
It is also teh same starter as Spitfire and Herald.

CC show £45 exchange, Paddocks is £40 but OOS at present.

Other suppliers and prices are available!

Don't forget the VAT!

We always show including VAT so £44.95 inc VAT.

Paddock show excluding VAT, so £48 inc VAT.

We stopped doing them a couple of years ago when the market got flooded with them.

Can't complain we had a good run back in the old days with them before most of the other traders even knew about them.

To be honest demand had seriously tailed off long before that anyway.

These days the tables have turned and its all about originality, and matching numbers such like.

Dave - first of all my apologies, I have no idea why on earth I was calling you Bill!!

Anyway, starter motors have been swapped, and successfully so. And I can honestly say I have never heard the red shed spin over so enthusiastically in 3 years of owning her. That old starter must have been buggered!!

It'll not be today, (might even have to wait until July) but I shall probably be contacting Mr P for a replacement of some sort!!

Cheers Guys!!

Phil

To be honest, I don't think I'll bother fitting a high torque for the time being, a fresher starter spins the engine over with no difficulties at all. Maybe if I ever get round to increasing the compression ratio then it might become necessary, but not as it stands.

Cheers,

Phil