V8 starter motor trouble

R1CBM

Questions for you....

On the V8, I've got a problem with the starter motor which is confusing me slightly.

What's happening is that when I turn the key to engage the motor, you can hear a sound which I think is the motor turning, but it's nor engaged so it doesn't turn the engine over.  This usually happens when hot after it's been driven, but has happened when cold once or twice. 

Now, I hear 2 different comments on this. 

1.  The currnet getting to the SM is not high enough and is being taken away from the hot manifold (which do have heat shield wrap thing son them) so it doesn't turn the engine over.

2.  Motor is buggered and on the way out, time to change it.

Any thoughts?

There is a third one,
The starter motor isn't working properly due to contamination by (engine)oil leaking into it and road dirt. This one should be fairly easy to recognise  ;D

Best way is to get the starter motor out and have it tested.

As for the first one check your battery and/or alternator, although I doubt that to be the cause of the problem

Do you get a rapid drumming type noise when you turn the key, sounds like something turning but not engaging?

If so I had exactly this problem recently on my V8 & it turned out to be the battery - I had fault which was draining the battery even though the charging circuit was OK. Fixed the fault & has been fine since. Before you take the starter out try charging the battery or a fresh battery if you have a spare lying around!

Incidentally the problems some V8s have with the starter not working when the engine is hot (solendoid related I think) can be cured by a small wiring mod - my mate was constantly having this problem on his TVR Chimera until he came across this mod to the wiring to the starter. Since fitting it he has had no problems at all. If anyone is interested I will ask him where he got it.

Do you get a rapid drumming type noise when you turn the key, sounds like something turning but not engaging? [r1cbm] - It sound slike something is spinning but not engaged, sorry, best way to describe without recording it.

If so I had exactly this problem recently on my V8 & it turned out to be the battery - I had fault which was draining the battery even though the charging circuit was OK. Fixed the fault & has been fine since. Before you take the starter out try charging the battery or a fresh battery if you have a spare lying around!  [r1cbm] I suppose I can try that, I have got a charger.  Not had any 'known' low battery issues yet, but also understand that you need to have lot's of power to get these things going.

Incidentally the problems some V8s have with the starter not working when the engine is hot (solendoid related I think) can be cured by a small wiring mod - my mate was constantly having this problem on his TVR Chimera until he came across this mod to the wiring to the starter. Since fitting it he has had no problems at all. If anyone is interested I will ask him where he got it.[r1cbm] Sounds like the problem I have been researching.  They are common on TVR's.  Reason I think it's not as much this is because it has happened when cold, or after a short drive so the manifold shouldn't be hot.

Archived