Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Well yesterday, I had my TC2500 in for its 6 monthly WOF inspection and its was failed on a rumbly back wheel bearing....BUGGER, so after reading all I could about it, and how big a s**t of a job it was, and how you needed special tools end equiptment. I was totally dreading this, but the cost of a recon'ed one here was more than I paid for the car.

So I done what any red-blooded kiwi would do...I ripped open a tinnie and thought about it some more. Hell its gotta be done so I attacked it, pulled the half shaft and hub out this morning, headed off to my local bearing wholesaler and picked up a kit, then proceeded to skin almost all my knuckles trying to get the bloody thing apart.

Actually it was a lot easier than I thought. From my engineering days  I had a large hydraulic bearing puller and that made the job a breeze. Total time from start to finish including 45 mins to pickup bearing kit was under 3 hours, and that included making a spanner for the adjusting nut.

Still its not a job for someone with limited mechanical experience and budget tools, I've got a workshop setup that would make most garages envious. So anyone downunder that wants a hand with 1, just sing out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Bugsy,

a straightforward job if you have the facilities, but what I was surprised about was :- "headed off to my local bearing wholesaler and picked up a kit".

That's not something I could do here in the U.K., I could probably get the correct bearings but not the spacer.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it surprised the hell out of me too, but it was a specialist bearing place and the owner was a classic car nut and has shit loads of unusual stock floating around. I was sure i would have to be importing parts. But he had 2 complete kits on the shelf. Cost surprised me as well only $58 NZd, ( about 25 quid ) for a kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most universal hub pullers will work! On my first attempt I had the wrong tools and consequently bent the hub! That little mistake will cost me $135(US) and to think my puller was $60....live and learn. In the end I did the bearings and UJ's( don't ever use Rimmers, their UJ's are terrible).

Here's the tools used.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...