HERALD REAR HUB PULLER

MALMINOR

currently doing a body off restoration on a 1360 saloon, I have bought some rear wheel bearings as I noticed a whine / rumble on test drive prior to dismantle.
would anyone in the North East of England be willing to hire / loan / or sell the tool needed to pull the hub off, is it a reasonable job to do with a decent workshop and tools. any tips would be appreciated.

And unfortuanately if you can hear a rumble it probably means the damage is done :( I pulled a few halfshafts recently, about half were OK, most seemed/felt OK prior to stripping, but I hadn't driven on them (I hoovered them up from a guy breaking a car)
But herald halfshafts are in plentiful supply, so good used ones should be available at a fraction of new cost. I paid £20 for 6. They were the long ones too.

Clive

thanks for the information, looks like I need to get around the auto jumbles.
I have already bought the bearings and UJ's, so  bare useable shafts would be better.
I have seen a tool on EBAY but is gone upto £55 plus postage, so I guess I will have to bite the bullet.

Hi Malminor
Practical Classis did a 13/60 restoration a few years ago, the guy who did it was called Andy. I met him when he took the rolling chassis to the NEC, obviously knew his stuff and the standard of work was top notch. I can't remember how he did it now but he made a hub puller out of an old wheel, seemed simple enough and the article said it worked a treat.
Have the hub puller myself and have only used it on my two shafts but they were so difficult to get off the thread has suffered in doing so. So if I have to do it again and the puller has had it would give his way a go.
I still have the articles and can copy the piece if you want, pm me and I will pop them in the post to you.

Archived