Early Herald disc conversion

Eternal optimist

I'm using early Herald drum brake suspension uprights on my Standard Ten and will (probably) be using Canley's aluminium caliper brackets with type 14 calipers. I notice that the stub axles appear to have different part numbers between the drum braked cars and those with discs - will the disc brake hubs I've just bought fit the drum brake stub axles??

8828 wrote:
will the disc brake hubs I've just bought fit the drum brake stub axles??

I think so. I've swapped around a lot of drum to disc parts, particularly with the early Heralds, though this was all a long time ago.
Having done my research, I was aware of different part numbers for the drum and (early) disc stub axles, so I had the entire disc setup ready to strip and rebuild as required. Coming to do the job for real though, I found the disc hubs went straight on without swapping stubs.

I'm cautious to say categorically that it will work in all cases, there has to be some difference. I would certainly be prepared to test fit everything before buying in unnecessary parts though,

Cheers,
Bill.

Darn! At one time, I swear I saw something that explained why the change of stub axle was necessary, but darned if I know where I saw it! That said, I think it might have been an issue of length...and I think I'd err on the side of caution and make the change.

If anyone is interested in the original directions, they are here:

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/discbrak.htm

I think that Triumph repurposed the drum brake upright casting for the Vitesse, but machined the tapered stub axle hole out. In other words, the disc brake stub axle is thicker where it goes through the upright. I know because I had to get a pair of drum brake uprights reamed to use them in a Vitesse.

Does that help?

Nick

herald948 wrote:
Darn! At one time, I swear I saw something that explained why the change of stub axle was necessary, but darned if I know where I saw it! That said, I think it might have been an issue of length...and I think I'd err on the side of caution and make the change.

If anyone is interested in the original directions, they are here:

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/discbrak.htm

It might be me, but I don't think the link works?

Nick_Moore wrote:
I think that Triumph repurposed the drum brake upright casting for the Vitesse, but machined the tapered stub axle hole out. In other words, the disc brake stub axle is thicker where it goes through the upright. I know because I had to get a pair of drum brake uprights reamed to use them in a Vitesse.

This is quite true, but the upright is common between drum and (early) disc braked Heralds and Spitfires. The Vitesse upright, as well as that of the Standard 8/10/Atlas, is based on the same casting, but undergoes different machining operations.

Cheers,
Bill.

8828 wrote:
[ http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/discbrak.htm ]

It might be me, but I don't think the link works?

It's something that seems peculiar to this Forum. It does work fine if you copy that text and paste it in your browser. Don't know why that happens, but it's ok for me. I did have a problem with the site about a year ago, but that was fixed and has been fine. Maybe something in the Forum software remembers that incident!?