WIMPUS

Viscous has a "clutch" mechanism built in, so the fan will never spin over a certain speed. The idea is that it saves energy (more power to the wheels)
downside is they can size/break up. I have had a few, and always get rid of them. A normal pump is less complicated, so less to go wrong.

cliftyhanger wrote:
Viscous has a "clutch" mechanism built in, so the fan will never spin over a certain speed. The idea is that it saves energy (more power to the wheels)
downside is they can size/break up. I have had a few, and always get rid of them. A normal pump is less complicated, so less to go wrong.

mine's got a viscous pump, the viscous coupeling is maybe 3years old (still looks 'new')

So the fan will spin at normal also .. but when it get's hotter it will spin faster ? right ?  :)

cliftyhanger wrote:
I would use it until the first signs of issues. ie fan feels stiff or loose, leaks etc

thn find a "normal" pump and fan.

OR remove the viscous coupling and fit an electric fan, now or later.

i know the viscous coupling had been changed 3 or 4 years ago ( car is been of the road now for nearly 2 years )

will see in the future , neighbour had also one with a viscous pump .. but he installed a fiat panda (or something ) fan on the rad, so i think the original fan is removed .. also he could have a different pump when i'm thinking of it .. he's engine is a 1300 (but a 1500 spit )