bob dunn

you could try putting the whole block in the freezer  ;)

If you want to try cooling the piston to try to release it, you can buy a freezing spray from electronics suppliers, like this for instance:  http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29004.

Get a block of wood more or less the same shape as the piston, and then hit it with a BFH, using the block to cushion the blow.

And remember the pistons won't actually come out of the bottom of the block - so down first (assuming not already at BDC) to free them then back up and out of the top.

You could try a dilute phosphoric acid solution if desperate but don't expect to use the piston again.  Good soak with penetrating oil cocktail (and I'm talking days/weeks not hours here) usually works if the bores aren't too brown.

Nick

junkuser wrote:
Remove crank first.

liquid nitrogen is also found in anaesthetic sprays and will also do the trick (cools beer down quickly in the desert)
I also have a heat gun that may may warm the block up but lets rather shove some diesel into the pots his w/end?

Hmmm, since the aluminum pistons have clearance and its the RINGS that contact the sleeve, the rings are stuck.  It happens.  When I get an engine out of the salvage yard to rebuild, sometimes the pistons (rings) are REALLY stuck.  Like others have said, some penetrating oil (e.g., PB Blaster), let it sit, then remove crank and whack the pistons down and out with a block of wood and a big dead blow hammer.

Archived