Spare Engine

JOHN LEARMONTH

I did an Engine build many years ago for a guy who provided me with Pistons that he had Valve pockets machined into. It was nothing special and looked a bit crude buit it was peace of mind for him. Not sure if he needed them because I always used Payen thicker gaskets but it did the job.
Lost touch with him now and last worked on his car back in about 2001when he said he was selling. I must dig out his number and see how it went.

latest news is that the engine block and heads are back from the machine shop
and the crank has been re-ground all ready to be reassembled
apparently the engine block was miles out of square
i dont think that the pistons have had valve pockets machined in them
altho it was talked about as a possible option
the heads have had the valve seats cut further back into up into the metal
to help with the clearance issues
i am not too sure about this if they have gone too far i would of thought it could get too close to the water jacket
has anybody heard of this being done before ?
hopefully i should be able to get over tonight and have a look and i will take some more pics 

Thats a very interesting question
i am definatley going over to see my engine tonight
so i will ask chris the guy who is building it
if you look in the pic of my engine in bits at the top of the pic above the rubber gloves
there are what looks like the head gaskets but they are the shimsavers used previously
they were blowing between the faces because of the warped block

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Looks nice. Have you torqued the heads yet? Good practice is to torque the inlet manifold to both heads before securing them in place. Ensures heads are parallel and redduces chance of leaks from inlet manifold. Use good quality inlet gaskets, preferably Payen.

Here is mine before it went in after the last rebuild

There are plenty of opinions regarding spin-on filters. Had one for about 10 years, no problems. Make sure it is a good one and fitted properly. Apparently some do not not seal properly and allow oil to by-pass the filter.

Dave

Thanks Dave

yours looks great with everything bolted on
all the gaskets are payen, think i am going to stick with the original oil filter for now
aparently its not a bad job to change anyway
next big job is to go through all the ancillarys, carbs starter motor ect and check they are ok before refiting them.
the autobox should be good had that refurbed less than 1000 miles ago
just hope after all this work  the engine runs ok

John

YIPEEE
All done and up and running fine no leeks no more rattling or blowing exhausts
had to have the carbs stripped again to get it to idle properly
went for a run on sunday and just one minor problem
the temp gauge only just registers when the car is hot and i know the car is getting warm and not overheating could it just be the sensor ?
any ideas ?

John

Did you get a refund from the joker who messed up the engine in the first place?  Get a report from an expert - someone who knows about Stag engines, or engines in general, then take him to the small claims court (claims less than £5K).  All you need to know is on-line at:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/small/index.htm

Claim also for the cost of the report.

Good luck

Steve

No i didnt get anything from the guy who messed it up
he just said that he wouldnt give me my money back but if i gave him the engine he would rectify it which i wasnt going to do having lost all faith in him
it has ended up costing me just over 3k to rebuild the engine
but i have no idea if i would be sucessful or where to get an engineers report done

if antbody has any ideas i would be gratefull

John

Archived