swoakes

DH engine 58bhp. The two are very similar, the differences are:

1. cam shaft is a round cam and doesn't produce much power after 4,000. Mk4 cam is much better, but its only £90 for a mk3 cam from Canleys which is better than both by a mile.

2. Mk4 spit head has bigger inlet valves however you can just get bigger valves fitted to your DH head but id check your head no. as my DH engine has a 1500 head.

3.Depending on what year the mk4 spit engine was, the early mk4 engines had a flat head where later mk4 models and dolomite engines have fire rings or recesses in the head(ie not flat).

Quite a few things, The spits engine revs better and produces more power but they are similar in construction. If your Dolomite engine is a good one then it would be cheaper to get the head modified and buy a new cam than buy a mk4 engine and fitting it.

Hope this helps, Chris.

Hi Chris, I have the dizzy but not sure if my pedestal which currently holds the D25 will fit the Remy. I spoke to Triumph World today who supplied the Dizzy and he said he can supply me with the correct pedestal if I need it although he thinks it may fit. So is the drive gear matched to the pedestal? I have now found a receipt for a reconditioned engine fitted in 1989; I guess its possible that a donor Dolomite block was used fitted with upgraded valves and cam for a Spit? Steve

Maybe mate, end of the day they are all similar and anything could have been done. The choice is your to how far you go.............I dont know about the pedestal so just give it a go and find out. If you need one i have one if not dont worry about it. Its there for the next person who needs some spares. Chris.

Cheers Chris. It will be a few weeks before I get the car started again; and I will initially do this on the old dizzy. When its running OK I will attempt a swap; I don't want to do too much all in one go as I won't know where the problem lies. Cheers Steve

Archived