VERY loose door locks

Fizzy

the lock barrels in the doors of my spitfire are extremely loose, so much so that every time i put the key in them, it feels like im about to rip the barrel out of the door. turning the key actually turns the barrels in the door.

is there a way to fix this ? im not entirely sure why it does it, but it really pisses me off as its so bad i dont lock the doors at the moment, for fear of totally mangling the lock. will new locks cure the problem, or is it something wrong with the door ?

open up the door and look at the back of the lock. Working from memory as at work, so this may be wrong. BUT I think the locks fit into a hole that has t flat sides, stopping the lock from yurning, and the lock held in place by a spring clip.
A decent adhesive may be enough to stop the lock turning in the hole ( I am asuming the flats have worn away making the hole round) I would clean up, make sure the lock works easily, then apply a nicebead on the back of the skin/lock. Maybe a little to replace the gasket on the outside. Clip on, and a litle more adhesive. May make it tricky in the future to dismantle, it is strong stuff.
Or do as most do, never lock the doors.
Clive

Archived