oil leak from gearbox vitesse 6

zhcj

can anyone shed any light on this please

i am loosing quite a lot of oil from the gearbox on my non overdrive vitesse 6 over a fairly short period of time

asside the front and rear gearbox oil seals is there anywhere else where the gearbox can be loosing oil ?

looking underneath it seems quite oily round where the speedo cable goes into box

Thanks in advance

There are several places where it could leak from:

• The speedo drive is an obvious possibility - there's an O-ring seal that may have perished and/or been disturbed.
  • The extension housing is bolted to the main casing with a paper gasket - loose bolts will make that leak.
  • Front and rear oil seals often leak
  • If the breather hole on top is blocked then the box gets pressurised and even good seals will leak
  • If the drain plug isn't fully tight it will leak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zhcj said:

can anyone shed any light on this please

i am loosing quite a lot of oil from the gearbox on my non overdrive vitesse 6 over a fairly short period of time

I recently posted a message about a similar problem with my Vitesse MkI which might just be relevant in which I said: "This week the gearbox was removed from the car once again and this time the mechanic also removed the engine flywheel to discover that there was no crank spigot bush (and it seemed that one had never been fitted!) thus allowing the splined gearbox shaft to wriggle around in the front oil seal.

Edited by Pete Arnold