GPatricks

Is there a certain way of testing the output of a standard fuel pump on a TR6 (1974)? I seem to be getting fuel to the filter just fine but it feels like its running out of gas after a minute or so of revving it in the driveway (sounds like 3 cyls are dead). If I shut it off, wait 5 minutes, it does the same thing - revs great for a minute then dies out.. I want to rum the pump into a measure while cranking it to see if its wak but don't know the amount thats expected..

Thanks
GPatricks

Put an in line pressure gauge after the pump,I think the pumps are rated in capacity an hour so run the pump 10 secs and calc how much it would pump in an hour ,then connect it all back up run it with the pressure gauge in  and monitor the pressure,sounds like the pressure is dropping off as the pump gets hot?
(Is this a injected TR6 still?)
I( will try and find some spec on PI pumps anyway)

[quote by=ajp25tc link=Blah.pl?b=tr26,v=display,m=1084571413,s=1 date=1084809414]Put an in line pressure gauge after the pump,I think the pumps are rated in capacity an hour so run the pump 10 secs and calc how much it would pump in an hour ,then connect it all back up run it with the pressure gauge in  and monitor the pressure,sounds like the pressure is dropping off as the pump gets hot?
(Is this a injected TR6 still?)
I( will try and find some spec on PI pumps anyway)[/quote]

No, this is a 74 with 2 ZD Zenith-Strombergs and a mechanical pump. I detached the fuel line from the rear carb and ran it into a jug to see if the pump did anything obvious, leaving on fuel line attached to Carb #1. The car started up, and gas pumped into the jug.After about 1 minute there was a quart in the jug and the car sputtered out and ran like it did on the testruns, leaving me to believe the pump can't keep up with demand, keeping the float bowls full.

Wish I had a pressure guage, may have to resort to bringing to a nearby shop.... not a great option.

Thanks for the response..

First thing to go for is to check the pump is not sucking air in @ any of the joints in the fuel lines
Next thing strip and clean the pump replacing the diaphram
If that dosnt work borrow/buy a facet or similar electric fuel pump about 5-10psi range should do it , (nick one from an MGb they had SU electric pumps)wire it up to 12v plumb in the fuel/carbs and test run
That will prove the pump is at fault? if it dosnt!
Then move on to the carbs could be a bit of snot blocking the needle valve in the float chamber,
Are all fuel filters new/clean?
Diaphrams good in the carbs?

I had a 1972 2000 that sat for years,I got it back on the road but had months of random fuel starvation only really got it sussed just before I sold it!
Check all the obvious stuff plugs/points coil etc
in the end I put it down to dirty fuel from where it sat so long ,just had to keep changing the fuel ,filters cleaning the pump,blowing the fuel lines out evey week or so for about six weeks,then took it on the RBR ,2000 miles in 48 hrs non-stop ..that fixed it!

Archived