Herald Estate Fuel Tank Leak

JumpingFrog

Managed to put fuel into our estate's tank for the first time (Since 2011) this weekend, but noticed it smelt of petrol. After checking everything over, I noticed it appears to be weeping from the "adaptor assembly" (Part 12). The underside of the "swirl pot" is damp suggesting the sealing washer (Part 13) is leaking? This part is NLA but I'm guessing it's just a massive fibre washer (Parts catalogue says "Washer, sealing on adaptor assembly").

This is similar to the infamous drain plug on the normal Herald tank, so I'm wary to try and undo it... Any ideas what I should do here? I'm thinking I need to remove the "adaptor assembly" to even slosh seal the tank, as it looks like it could easily block up.

Thanks

- David

Mine doesn't look quite like that but I think it's just a big fibre washer. I haven't got my spare tank out of storage but I have just looked at it lying full length and stretch by the light of a torch.  I know I have stripped rebuilt it and had no trouble (or at least I can't remember any).
Is there a part number for it that can be researched with the hardware catalogue?
C.

Quoted from Casper
Mine doesn't look quite like that but I think it's just a big fibre washer. I haven't got my spare tank out of storage but I have just looked at it lying full length and stretch by the light of a torch.  I know I have stripped rebuilt it and had no trouble (or at least I can't remember any).
Is there a part number for it that can be researched with the hardware catalogue?
C.

The part number is 509643, so doesn't correspond to a generic hardware entry (e.g. WFXXX). I'm estimating it's about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter, looks like a big brass nut.  I've bought a pack of assorted imperial fibre washers (up to 2"), so hopefully one of those does the trick.

Although I am concerned that it's actually the bottom of the pot that's compromised rather than simply the fibre washer failing. We bought the car disassembled, so everything is an unknown. Perhaps tank sealant might be required.

It's just a banjo bolt assembly, with a washer top and bottom of the ... middle bit (don't ask me the name)
You can get them from rally car suppliers, just make sure it's the correct fit, and the new ones will come with a short tube designed to take a flexible pipe rather than the steel one originally fitted as part of the assembly. I got a replacement one in brass which is very nice and shouldn't deteriorate, unlike the original version.New washers top and bottom of course to provide a fuel-tight seal.

Quoted from Paudman
It's just a banjo bolt assembly, with a washer top and bottom of the ... middle bit (don't ask me the name)
You can get them from rally car suppliers, just make sure it's the correct fit, and the new ones will come with a short tube designed to take a flexible pipe rather than the steel one originally fitted as part of the assembly. I got a replacement one in brass which is very nice and shouldn't deteriorate, unlike the original version.New washers top and bottom of course to provide a fuel-tight seal.

The banjo fitting doesn't seem to be leaking. The issue seems to be with the fitting that the banjo bolt screws into (part 12), the area of the tank surrounding this is damp with fuel.

Part 13 is apparrently the washer / seal - am I correct that 12 is a filter mechanism? 2 is just the large foam seal. It's quite a large assembly so might be less chance of damaging it than the saloon drain. Mine is quite rusty, I'll check later to see if it's brass or just metal. I'd treat it the same as the drain plug on a saloon tank; get the assembly unscrewed without tearing it out of the bottom of the tank. (Don't use heat lol!) Plenty of penetrating oil and brace or clamp it so that the unscrewing force is against the fitting, not the tank body. Once removed - and I hope you're successful - then you can measure the size of fibre washer required and replace; I hope it's just a leak around the seal rather than the metal being perforated.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm going to try changing the seal first, I'll keep your suggestions in mind particularly about bracing the tank first.

Had another look this weekend, the metal under the paint looks good, so pinholes seem unlikely. However, the bottom of the tank is pushed in (as though its been dropped) around Part No. 13, so I have a bad feeling the brazing has cracked. Worst case is I need to have it brazed/welded I suppose - anyone know of anywhere in the Lancashire/Yorkshire area?

• 1 month later...

How have you got on so far? I've removed mine this evening; quite simple. A large socket on an impact wrench, set to 'low' unscrewed it with no bother at all. What you will find, however, is that nearly all of the parts involved, from the copper washer (part 13 is a huge copper washer on mine) to the filter, are NLA. Completely! I'll visit the autofactors tomorrow and see what the closest matches are.

• 2 weeks later...
Quoted from Paudman-

How have you got on so far? I've removed mine this evening; quite simple. A large socket on an impact wrench, set to 'low' unscrewed it with no bother at all. What you will find, however, is that nearly all of the parts involved, from the copper washer (part 13 is a huge copper washer on mine) to the filter, are NLA. Completely! I'll visit the autofactors tomorrow and see what the closest matches are.

Oops, only just seen this.

We couldn't budge it - tried shocking it with freezer spray and boiling water. We could see the tank deforming so thought it best to cut our loses.

Sent the tank off to be repaired, confirmed that both joints on the cylindrical section were leaking anyway. They repaired (brazed?) the joints and removed the plug (didn't say how!).

Just in case someone in the future is tempted to heat the plug up, be warned the filter is plastic. Ours also had a copper washer, but we replaced it with a fibre one, seems to have done the trick. Should be okay as they're used elsewhere for fuel and are more tolerant to rough surfaces than copper.

Thankfully the filter is reuseable, as absolutely no-one has an equivalent, and that's outside the Classic industry too.

Washers in that size are aparrently available from hydraulic hose manufacturers; I've to call in with one next week for a browse. Their washers have a rubber centre which helps to seal the joint. A fibre washer is available - it also fits some part on a Stag, so all is not lost.