Mk3 spitfire rear valance

phillip ridley

• 1 month later...

Phil

As I understand it, Fitchetts bought all the original tooling from the Canley factory when it closed down, and make limited runs of panels from them as the market requires, and supplies them to most of the usual dealers . I’m unsure of the origin of the “steelcraft” and “heritage “ branded panels however. Perhaps someone can tell me who actually makes those  

Bear in mind however that much of this tooling has been in use for over 50 years and is frankly knackered so it’s hardly surprising that the fit may not always be perfect, if it ever was. With the surprising sole exception of my Spits boot floor, I’ve yet to find any aftermarket body panel, even supposedly NOS OEM ones, that didn’t require a certain amount of “fettling” to fit well, to some extent or another. We forget that in those pre robot production line days a large amount of human interaction with a large hammer went into body making. 

In short, I think almost all body panels on the market are made by Fitchet’s. 

But I could be wrong. I was once before.

Quoted from efp-

. We forget that in those pre robot production line days a large amount of human interaction with a large hammer went into body making. 

Facts are correct, and in all essence nearly every car was unique ,in so much pushing shoving and hitting was the norm on every car. I`ve seen doors fitted, in a video, whereby a block of wood and 2lb hammer was used to gain alignment. 

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-
Quoted from efp-

. We forget that in those pre robot production line days a large amount of human interaction with a large hammer went into body making. 

Facts are correct, and in all essence nearly every car was unique ,in so much pushing shoving and hitting was the norm on every car. I`ve seen doors fitted, in a video, whereby a block of wood and 2lb hammer was used to gain alignment. 

I haven’t getting round to the rear panel yet but have bought one off Fitchett hope it’s a good fit but I’m sure with a bit tinkering it will and I have a big hammer if needed 😂